Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's Chic, Not Chick

I'm sure if you have a name that gets confused for another it starts to bother you after awhile. For example, I can't tell you how many times people look quick at my name and say Shelly instead of Shelby. Now that I have my own business it is happening with my business name also. Even my brothers thought I named by business So Chick Events and asked why I would. Sadly this is not just a man thing as I've learned. Since I just got an email tonight where the person said "Hello So Chick Events", I thought *sigh* , OK I need to clear this up or in the very least make myself feel better. Of course there will still be some people that will say it wrong, but hey what can you do? That being said, here we go.

Chic: (pronounced ˈshēk) means Cleverly Stylish

Chick: (pronounced just how it looks) means a couple different things, it can refer to a domestic chicken; especially one newly hatched or it can be a slang term for a girl or woman.

Well there you have it. The difference between the two. My business name means So Cleverly Stylish, not So chicken and not So woman, which just typing that sounds so silly. Now if only I could make anyone that will ever call me see this post I'd be golden! I know the odds of that aren't in my favor.

1 comments:

Liene Stevens said...

I get blue orchard all the time. orchid vs orchard - I don't really get it, but it still happens. :)