Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Easy Recipes for the Holiday Weekend!

Since the upcoming weekend is 4th of July weekend I thought it would be nice to share some great recipes! The first one I posted last year but it's so good and always gets great reviews so I thought I'd share it again. It's simple, it's light, it's fabulous. I also posted a couple quick & easy appetizer recipes last year, to see that post click here. If you're looking for more dessert ideas that are also patriotic check out this post from the Hostess with the Mostess blog. They not only look delicious but also very pretty!

Fruit Trifle

1 Angel Food Cake (pre-made from the store works great)
2 (small) boxes instant Vanilla pudding
3 1/2 cups Skim Milk
1 large container Cool Whip Free
Fresh Fruit (I use strawberries (1 - 2 pkgs), blueberries (1 pkg) & bananas (2) but you can use whatever you wish!)

Mix milk & pudding and set aside. In a trifle bowl layer cake, pudding, fruit & cool whip. Repeat until gone.

When I do this I usually do individual layers for each fruit but if you wanted to mix them together first and have 3 layers of mixed fruit that works too! As far as the milk, I know some people hate skim milk, and I don't blame them, I'm not a fan either! If you're in New England and you haven't tried either Garelick Farms Over the Moon Fat Free Milk or Hood Simply Smart Fat Free Milk then I say give it a shot. Both taste great and do not taste like skim to me at all (and to several others that have tried it).

Trust me when I say that no one will know that this is a low-fat dessert. My father who always knows when something is substituted can't tell and he really likes this! Fooling him is never easy!

Enjoy!

Have a Safe & Happy 4th!

0 comments: